The State Department has begun enforcing a pre-existing law that allowed for the denial of passport applications and in certain cases, revoking current passports for taxpayers that owe the IRS $51,000 or more. The IRS estimates that 362,000 taxpayers would fall into this category, which means Americans have A LOT of tax debt. Those affected will likely be receiving notices in the mail. Those who would otherwise be subject to enforcement are exempt if they:
- Have a valid installment agreement or are in the process of negotiating one
- Are currently undergoing an Offer in Compromise
- Are in bankruptcy
- Have requested a due process hearing about a levy
- Reside in a designated Federal Disaster Area
- Have debt collection suspended due to innocent spouse relief provisions
- Have certain hardships recognized by the IRS
- Are a victim of tax-related identity theft
If you find yourself in this position, get in touch with us and we’ll provide you with a game plan to save your passport and get you on an affordable payment plan. Who knows, our case review may uncover opportunities to legitimately knock down some of the tax owed.
About Dark Horse CPAs
Dark Horse CPAs provides integrated tax, accounting, and CFO services to small businesses and individuals across the U.S. The firm was founded to save small businesses (and their owners) from subpar accounting and tax services and subpar client experiences. These small businesses are Dark Horses among their larger and more well-known competition. Being a Dark Horse CPA means advocating for small businesses by bringing them the tax strategies and accounting insights previously reserved for big business. Get a quote today.